Monday, October 22, 2007

Might as well

I don't know what went wrong here (there's a lot of discussion about it here), so i won't really get into it, except to say that, yeah, it's pretty awful.

But I want to address something else going on in the video. Namely, David Lee Roth. As in, what the hell happened to David Lee Roth? First of all, he's never had the greatest signing voice but now he just sounds pained. And where there used to be the nimble, high-flying, "kick out your legs and touch your toes" Dave, instead, we are treated to an old man shuffling around like he's Ozzy Osbourne! And, Dave, could you be any more subtle with the giant, inflatable microphone? I don't think we get it.

It now occurs to me that when their last attempt at a tour fizzled out before it even started, it was actually an attempt to save themselves from themselves. I think this might be the moment when they, to use a television term, might as well jump the shark*.



*Yes, I'm being overly harsh here. But frankly, all their real-life bickering and childishness has put me off of Van Halen.

No comments: